2.05.2010

Pbbbt. (raspberry)

I am envious of a lot of these cool street fashion bloggers. My favorite is liebemarlene vintage; through her I've also discovered Delightfully Tacky, left hand endeavor, Leproust Vintage, Sally Jane Vintage, Selective Potential, and the snail and the cyclops. To be fair, though, most, if not all, of these girls operate vintage/resale shops of some sort, so keeping blogs like these is part of their jobs.

I often get compliments on my clothes and I like to think that I have good taste, but unless I'm at a party and someone else snaps a picture and posts it on Facebook, my outfits just don't get recorded. I like the idea of being able to take pictures of what I wear, but I usually don't have the time (or I feel like I don't, anyway). I also don't ask anyone to deliberately take photos out of nervousness and fear of being perceived as vain.

I had to drive home from Chicago unexpectedly and very unhappily during rush hour whilst feeling sick. Hunched over my steering wheel with the window cracked hoping I wouldn't puke, I thought about how I enjoy the days when I don't shower and sometimes just wear the same clothes I did the day before. It's a habit that I formed from constantly running late for my dearly departed job. There's something comforting about being dirty, as well as the long hot shower which follows. I have oily hair, so my new haircut lends itself to messiness. I made it home deciding to do a photo series of my grungy days. Though I didn't quite end up doing that...Ms. Sally Jane Vintage had posted a series of photos from Jackson, Johnston and Roe's Spring collection, and I really liked the one girl's hair; even though hers is actually long and pinned up, it's something that I can sort of recreate.


I put on an outfit I'd wear if I'd been able to go to the birthday party I had planned on attending tonight. I did keep to the grungy thing a little, not showering, keeping on the top I wore last night and on the drive home, and taking the photos in my very messy bedroom. I did take one photo pre-outfit, though, due to my friend's desire to see my haircut. I used my MacBook's web camera.


I took a series of photos with my digital camera using the flash and weird angles because I wouldn't be able to capture my complete outfit otherwise...I could probably rig up something in the stairwell of my building and use the timer sans flash, but surprisingly for a Friday night, my neighbors are home and I would be really embarrassed if I were caught. But then my camera, which is suddenly starting to break down (as soon as I no longer have a steady income, of course), decided not to communicate with my computer when I hooked it up. Thus, I had to redo the shoot using my cell phone. A happy accident; it's more à propos.

Ta da:







Embarrassingly, half of the outfit is from Anthropologie: tank top (by Ric Rac; a gift from my aunt), shorts (by hei hei), and stockings (by Ruffian). Cardigan is Mossimo from Target, heels are Dolce Vita from Urban Outfitters, necklace is vintage from Fred and Ethel's, and the purse came from a lawn sale at the Logan Square farmer's market.

Phew. Got that out of my brain...though now I'll have to wash my face before going to sleep. Resume feeling sick in bed with
Buckminster and decide what movie to watch.

2 comments:

  1. I totally understand the taking outfit pictures thing. Its hard! I can't see how some girls do it everyday. But truth be told, many of them are students or Etsy is their job. Some are stay at home moms or work part time. (and this isn't all of them. I know some that work normal business hours too, 5 days week) But, I think that makes a huge difference. I do manage to take photos but they are generally crap because I take them quickly when I get home from work at 6pm in our dark spare bedroom with a bad, old camera. And only maybe four times a week if I am lucky. I think it takes a lot of time and effort to create these beautiful photos. I am jealous many of the girls can do it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, I mentioned in the first paragraph that for most of them, it's part advertising for their jobs. And a lot of them know good photographers that will take pictures for them. The girl that runs The Clothes Horse lamented that she takes her own photos with a tripod, so she has to run to these fantastic trees she takes photos by and pose within 10 seconds!

    When I first got a cell phone with a camera years and years ago, I had just moved and didn't have any friends. So I took outfit photos all the time! But I'd certainly prefer to enjoy my clothes without recording them than take photos because I have no friends and am bored.

    ReplyDelete