10.07.2009

Love.

I saw a clip of an interview with the German filmmaker Rainer Werner Fassbinder on a blog called DC's. I don't know any of the details of this interview. This particular statement is intriguing, because I'm getting to an age in which everyone I know is either getting married or wants to get married, and I'm somewhat ambivalent. I like the idea of two people committing to each other, in sickness and in health, to death do they part. I also like the idea of living with that person. But I don't know yet how marriage fits in with those ideas, at least not in this day and age. At least not for me.

Interviewer: Are you capable of living with another person?
RWF: Uhhh, ummm...
I: To add to that question, you were married once.
RWF: But not in order to live together. We got married because we got along better with each other than we did with other people. Getting married means something different, or it meant something different than it does to other people.

No comments:

Post a Comment