3.22.2010

Grungy look #2: Driving home from a weekend in Chicago.

As usual, I spent the weekend at my boyfriend's apartment, thus having to plan outfits according to our schedule. That night, we went to the opening of the 50 Alderman/50 Artists exhibit at Johalla Projects(Packed! We had to wait in line 20 minutes just to get in!), so I wore a cute new skirt from Anthropologie and platform mary janes (which are unfortunately close to death). A snow storm was predicted for Saturday and Sunday (Saturday, yes; today, no). We were going to another opening (Phyllis Bramson and Judith Geichman at Carrie Secrist Gallery)and meeting our friend for dinner and drinks afterward, so I wanted to wear something nice, but I also needed the proper footwear for walking in snow. All I have are a pair of black rubber wellies that I've been wearing to the stable, thus covered with dried mud from getting horses from the pens (boy are those pens muddy!) and duck style boots. Neither were proper attire for those events, but since I was too lazy to clean the rubber boots and was certain that the duck boots were in my trunk, I decided to go with those. However, I got to Chicago only to find that the boots were NOT in my trunk, and I forgot to put my jeans in my suitcase. So I borrowed a pair of Gabe's roommate's jeans for the weekend, and fortunately, though not perfect for snow, I did have my Frye boots in my car. So this is what I wore for the drive home (sorry for the darkness of the photos):







Sunglasses: Anthropologie
Prescription Glasses: Lucky
Coat: Latte by Coffeeshop via Mod Cloth
Satchel: Cambridge Satchel Company
Suitcase: vintage Samsonite via Cracker Jax
Boots: Frye
Sweater: Lux scavenged from Gabe's roommate's closet, likely via Urban Outfitters
Skirt: Eva Franco via Anthropologie

I have to wear my glasses when I drive; I've been out of contact lenses for a really long time. Since Gabe discovered this, he lectures me about it. After a particularly bad night driving in Chicago missing street signs (I didn't know where I was going) and nearly missing people crossing the street (I suspect there is an organization of people that like to wear black and walk in front of cars for fun), I'm being more mindful of wearing my glasses. Thanks to daylight savings time, driving westbound, and having visors that don't cover much of my windshield, I resorted to wearing my sunglasses over my regular glasses. Very uncomfortable.

Anyway, I thought I looked amusing and wanted to share. Actually, on my way to 290, the 2 lane road merged, and a woman on her cell phone didn't realize it and nearly sideswiped me. I honked and gave her a look...then realized how ridiculous I looked with my glasses. Oh well, I'll never see her again anyway.

No comments:

Post a Comment