4.14.2010

Ugh.

I love horror movies. I've loved them for as long as I can remember. I've thought about ways I could incorporate them into my art history research...the connection between Le Corbusier's massive apartment buildings and Shivers and Demons 2 are the best examples I can think of. Damien Hirst and The Cell, also.

People often ask why I enjoy horror movies so much. The best explanation I can come up with is that it's a rush being scared and mortified...and often they're more funny than anything comedians like Adam Sandler could ever come up with. So I found it a bit strange when I had to turn off Law and Order: SVU tonight. It was an episode I've seen before; I've seen a lot of them multiple times because I'm addicted to that show. Yes, the crimes investigated in that show are horrendous, but the cast is so great that I can easily overlook it. But tonight, I couldn't. One could argue that SVU isn't a horror show, but a crime show...but it is scary, and once the rapist started confessing his crimes
in detail, I began to get sick to my stomach. Part of the issue at hand was that another man had been convicted of these crimes; it wasn't until the rapes began again years later that the detectives realized that they had put the wrong man in prison. After the real rapist confesses, Detective Stabler visits the convicted man in prison and tells him he was wrongly convicted and will soon be released. The man is so grateful. And then I turned the TV off. I knew that shortly, before being led from the interrogation room to his cell, the real rapist would ask to use the restroom, and would then jump out the window and kill himself. Because of some legality, this would mean that the innocent man has to stay in prison after all. I don't know if this is accurate...I certainly don't understand why a window would be in a jail house's restroom. But it still made me sick.

This morning, I watched Demonia, directed by Italian horror director Lucio Fulci. I watched five nuns get nailed to crosses, a man get stabbed, two men impaled, a woman's eyes scratched out by her cats, and a man stabbed and his tongue nailed. Perhaps because none of the heinous acts in the SVU episode were actually shown, my mind filled in the blanks making it more horrific if I'd seen it. Come to think of it, horror movies rarely have rape scenes in them.

...

My cat was super cute today laying in the warm sun!

No comments:

Post a Comment